This meatloaf is very simple, despite the number of ingredients, but nothing really that you should not already have at home. Feel free to substitute things as fit your needs. I tried to give substitutes as well (they are the ingredients that follow the “/” character). My family likes this recipe and so do I. It’s made with rolled oats and has a simple tomato glaze on it.
First, there may be one ingredient that you might need to make before making this meatloaf, and that is the beef-like seasoning. I adapted Kyong Weathersby’s Vegan “beef-like” Seasoning Recipe (See the recipe on YouTube) simply by leaving out the powdered soy sauce. I actually leave it completely out of the recipe. It absolutely works for me. I use it in my beef substitute meats with great success just by adding Bragg’s Liquid Aminos to whatever beef substitute recipe I’m making. Works wonderfully!!! I put all of these ingredients in my dry Vitamix blender and blended it for about 30 seconds. Done! It is so good! It is my opinion that Kyong Weathersby “beef-like” seasoning is one of the best I’ve tried because of its simplicity and flavor added. She gives God the glory and so do I! I typically share what I love with others! Check it out! Now, with that said, you may use whatever plant-based beef-like seasoning you have on hand.
Now, once you have the beef-like seasoning, then you are ready to make this recipe. This recipe uses mushrooms, but you make use any of the substitutes listed by it. Depending upon how you make this recipe, it is mostly all plant-based and unprocessed ingredients. This is one of the things I love about this recipe.
Oh! I love a brown meatloaf; and this will turn out pretty dark without the coffee substitute and carob, but I love how they darken this down a bit more. You may feel free to leave these out.
Also, many of you do not know what Monk’s pepper is. It is nothing more than Chaste Berry Tree Tea grounded like pepper. You may use any black pepper substitute of your choice. I know that some people love dried papaya seeds. Some just add a touch of cayenne. Do what works for you!
Now, I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Simple Oat Meatloaf
- Olive oil and 1 Tablespoon of plant-based butter
- 1 cup of assorted bell peppers, diced* (See note)
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery, finely diced
- 3 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced or minced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon/lime
- ½ Tablespoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- ¼ teaspoon thyme, grounded
- ¼ teaspoon marjoram, grounded
- 1 ½ teaspoon fine pink Himalayan/ sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Monk’s pepper, grounded
- 1 Tablespoon beef-like seasoning (See Kyong Weathersby’s recipe)
- 1/3 cup avocado oil *(See note regarding cashews/coconut milk/cream)
- ½ Tablespoon beef-like seasoning (See Kyong Weathersby’s recipe)
- 2 Tablespoons plant-based butter
- 1 Teaspoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 pound of mushrooms/ ½ block firm tofu/ 1 medium zucchini* (See note)
- ½ cup black beans
- ¼ teaspoon coffee substitute, optional
- ½ teaspoon carob powder, optional
- 1 ¾ cups raw rolled oats
- ¾ cup grounded pecans (pecan meal) / walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons (or a little more) flour / cornstarch / vital wheat gluten
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce (I use salt-free, if salted, salt to taste)
- 2 ½ teaspoon lemon/lime
- 4 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Monk’s pepper, grounded
- ¼ + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1/32 teaspoon cardamon
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Prepare vegetable mixture: Heat up sauté pan with olive oil and butter. Add all diced and chopped vegetables and seasonings, and sauté for five minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare bean mixture: In a high-speed blender, add avocado oil, plant-based butter, liquid aminos, mushrooms, and black beans, and blend until smooth. This should be a smooth and somewhat thick liquid. Set aside.
- Prepare glaze: In a small bowl, prepare the glaze, by adding all ingredients and stirring/whisking until smooth. Set aside.
- Next, oil all sides of a standard glass loaf/bread pan for the meatloaf (I just use my slender bread pan, which is pictured).
- In a large bowl, add the vegetable mixture, bean mixture, to the dry mixture and stir until incorporated. Place in glass pan. Be sure to create space for the glaze to go down the sides, by pulling the combined mixture away from the glass sides. Pour the glaze over giving room to run down the sides (as shown in the feature picture).
- Place in preheated oven for 50 minutes – one hour. Let cool at least 30 minutes before cutting. I find it is more stable as I let it cool.
*Note: Oil, Bell peppers, and Zucchini
Oil: I typically make this recipe with oil, but you can make this oil free by adding one cup of soaked cashews with about 1/2 cup of water to the bean mixture. You may want to blend the water and cashews first in a high-speed blender and then put in the rest of the ingredients without any change in flavor. I would guess that coconut milk/cream may be a suitable substitute too, but I have not experimented with this as yet. If you do, let us know!
Bell Peppers: Please note that this is a guesstimate. I usually use about a quarter of a red and orange pepper and one small green pepper. You may use as whatever bell peppers you have on hand, but the sweet bell peppers add a nice flavor. I use a great amount of bell pepper.
Zucchini Substitute for mushrooms: If you substitute zucchini for the mushrooms, slice lengthwise and scrap out the middle to remove the seeds and finely grate. If seeds are pretty tiny, they can be grated too. Add this directly to the dry mix instead of the blender. The tofu and mushrooms will be blended with the bean mixture.