I love tacos. I also love to make them in a jiffy. In order to do that you need a seasoning that can be mixed with the ingredients to take on the flavor. Taco seasoning makes making tacos a breeze. I don’t buy it because many of the ingredients are not what I would want to eat, such as dairy whey and the white bone-refined white sugar. These are replaced by lactic or citric acid and organic cane sugar, which can both be consumed on a plant-based diet.
The taco seasoning recipe below is similar to McCormick’s Original Taco Seasoning. I researched taco seasoning for a while and experimented with what tasted good to me. I think you will like it too.
In this recipe, I made the things that most people do not have lying around optional, but especially for the lactic acid, which gives the recipe a bit of a sharp tart flavor. If you miss the sweetness, you may add the tartness with a touch of vitamin C powder. The potato starch helps to bring the ingredients together. Monk’s pepper (Chaste Berry Tree Tea) and papaya pepper are both great substitutes for the very acidic black pepper. I blend all of the ingredients together in my Vitamix for a nice and somewhat powdery seasoning. Now, though there is a slight difference if you leave the optional ingredients, the main ingredients still taste great!
Without further ado, here is delicious taco seasoning recipe…
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon lactic acid or 1/8 teaspoon vitamin C powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon Monk’s/papaya pepper, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients together in a blender or place ingredients in a container and shake the container to mix it.
- Adjust seasoning to your own taste!