Some may think this plant-based meatloaf is more authentic than the oat-based one I shared a while back. I like both but this is much quicker to make because there are less steps.
This is a seitan-based meatloaf. Made from grounding up my beef meat substitute. You may make your Italian breadcrumbs by adding some salt and Italian seasoning to your breadcrumbs. I also make my own barbeque sauce for the topping. This recipe is especially easy if all your ingredients are already made or bought; so, plan ahead!
Now, without further ado, enjoy the recipe below!
Simple Seitan Meatloaf
- ½ medium onion diced
- 1 tsp. plant-based butter (See recipe)
- ⅓ c. aquafaba (syrupy consistency, not watery)
- ¾ c. soymilk
- ¾ c. Italian breadcrumbs (See recipe)
- 2 cups beef substitute, grounded
- 1 Tbs. barbeque sauce (See recipe)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. pure salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper substitute
- ½ c. barbeque sauce (See recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and spray with oil.
- In a small pan, sauté onions until tender. Let them cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg substitute, soymilk, and breadcrumbs. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- After add the rest of the ingredients except ½ cup barbeque sauce to the bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Form a loaf mound on the baking sheet, spray with oil, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Take loaf out of the oven and spread barbeque sauce over the meatloaf and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until. Broil for 1-2 minutes if desired.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.